• Boil the barley in water, drain and
• Roast the dry barley (stir frequently
in a hot, dry frying pan, for a few minutes, like you
would do with coffee beans)
• Do the same with the other three
• Mill each ingredient and pass through
a seive (gherbaal)
• Mix thoroughly and place in dry
• Label the containers (Z-mix) and date
them - good for 2 yrs.
Serving the dish
Pour the desired amount of
the Z-mix into a bowl, moisten slightly with
sprinkles of water and some olive oil, and mix
with finger tips. The mixture should be a little
dry, loose and olive-brown in color.
Traditionally, a handful of
the mixture is squeezed into a stick shape
('abbood), and sweetened with sugar or eaten with
best results, zemmeetah is accompanied with a
good size glass of genuine (full-strength)
buttermilk, followed by a cup of undersweetened
green tea. (the original formula).